In 2021, we launched our #FounderStories series, where we collect and share the voices of company founders from different sectors.
In this Ask Me Anything-style series, founders tell us how it all began and offer budding entrepreneurs sound advice based on experience.
You might be wondering, what’s the reason behind it?
“We wanted to publish inspiring stories that demonstrate the tenacity and creativity that forms the backbone of the British economy”, Ifty Nasir, founder and CEO of Vestd.
And if there’s one thing British business owners have, it’s tenacity.
Despite almost two years of turbulence, more than 770,000 new businesses formed in 2020. Data from Companies House revealed that in the first quarter of 2021, the number of incorporations increased by 41,546.
That’s the largest quarter one year on year increase in the number of incorporations since 2012.
Unperturbed, plucky Brits are seizing opportunities to succeed. And that entrepreneurial spirit doesn’t look like it will fade anytime soon.
According to research by Natwest, one in seven adults now plans to become an entrepreneur; that’s an increase of 50% compared to the previous year.
It all sounds pretty positive. But there’s no doubt that it’s been tough for countless companies across the country. The Great Resignation and the Recruitment Crisis has been the subject of a media frenzy, but it is a reality and a real problem for many.
But as Christmas draws closer and we come to the end of 2021, we want to remind you of all the inspiring stories we shared of tenacious and creative entrepreneurs and their startups. Some of which launched during the pandemic!
Just in case you missed any, here’s a list of the #FounderStories we’ve shared so far, all in one place.
- Kyle C Grant, founder of Oxwash
- Jahirul Amin, founder of CAVE Academy
- Chris McDonnell, founder of Black Label Creations
- Ben Scott-Robinson, founder of The Small Robot Company
- Catherine McArthur, founder of Thirdshift
- Dino Myers-Lamptey, founder of The Barber Shop
- Christine Mackay, founder of Salamandra animation studios
- Deri Llewellyn-Davies, founder of BGI
- Euan Cameron, founder & CEO at Willo
- Lucy Flinter, founder of Zero Procure
- Chris Sykes, founder & CEO of Volume.ai
- Ben Austin, founder of Absolute Digital Media
- Faye Tomson, founder of Tomson Consulting
- Craig de Souza, founder of Creative Industry Association
- Laura Thomson, founder of Need
- Patrick Wells, founder of Booth
- Finlay Kerr, founder of Frejz
- Mhairi Cochrane, founder of Lilypads
- Teddy Lee, founder of Maki & Ramen
- Christina MacLeod, founder of Edinburgh Women in Space
- Joshua Dean, founder of Ember
- Hugo Morrissey, founder of Nuisance Drinks
- Rebecca Donaldson, founder of MUSE Activewear
- Douglas MacLennan, founder of VoucherCart
- Graeme Dixon, founder of Octopus
- Tim Boote, founder of Protein Rebel
- Sikander Hauser, founder of Droplet
- Gavriella Abekassis, founder of Out of the Cube
- James Saward-Anderson, founder of Social Tree Global
- Will Stewart, founder of The Point.1888
- Nisheeth Pathak, founder of WeSoar.ai
- Rebecca Taylor, founder of Aquarate
- Nick Aldrich, founder of Only The Brave
- Nirali & Jag Mankodi, founders of Superfoodio
- Ruari Fairbairns, founder of One Year No Beer
- John Quinton-Barber, founder of Social
- Joe Sillett, founder of The Funky Appliance Company
- Michael Groves, founder of Topolytics
- Richard Oborne, founder of LuxuryTrainTickets.com
- Stefan Manku, founder of Talk to Stefan
- Denise Saber, founder of Percuro
- Dan Meade & Laura Westmore, founders of Speccy Media
- Hayley Brightmore, founder of Knight Transaction Services
- Simon Middleton, serial entrepreneur
- Danny Nevill, founder of Universal Web Design
- Axel Thomson, founder of Ribbon App
- Sophie Labat, founder of Shmood
- Claire Nield, founder of The Flower Power Company
- Ben Harper, founder of Meet Hugo
- Tanguy Dewavrin, founder of Atom Universe
- Susannah Davda, founder of The Shoe Consultant
- Chris Watts, co-founder of NumberEight
- Julia Nesterets, founder of JetOctopus
- Christian Duncan, founder of Dropless
- Ella Rauen-Prestes, founder of Fitbakes
- Terry Langton, founder of Turncoat Distillery
- Toby Cannon, founder of Myles Challenges
- Maddie Booth, founder of Scrubbee
- Jan Dolezal, founder of SmartGuide
- Jim Law, founder of Find a Player
- Hugo Empson, founder of Generous APE
- Frazer Thompson, founder of Chapel Down
- Albert Azis-Clauson, co-founder of UnderPinned
- Alex Tomchenko, founder of Glambook
- Alina Anghel, founder of Ecoeri
- Hana Sutch, co-founder of Go Jauntly
- Dr Will Breakey, co-founder of Dr Will's
- Biro Florin, co-founder of Jexo
- Simon Schnieders, founder of Blue Array
- Sanjay Aggarwal, founder of Spice Kitchen
Once again, we want to say a huge thanks to all those who contributed to (and read) our #FounderStories.
The series is ongoing. So stay tuned for more startup stories and sound advice from successful entrepreneurs themselves. And if you’d fancy featuring in this round-up same time next year, get in touch. We'd love to hear your story.
Happy Christmas, everyone!