How do I submit a nil return for Unapproved Options to HMRC?

To submit a nil return you need to log into the PAYE section of HMRC's website and select Employment Related Securities. Once in the ERS system select the scheme you're interested in filing for from the list of schemes and arrangements.


Screenshot 2019-03-15 at 14.42.19

You should then see the option to submit an annual return.


Screenshot 2019-03-15 at 14.42.19-1

Once in the annual submission process click on Start now to begin.

Screenshot 2019-03-15 at 14.42.19-2

For a nil return no changes need to have been made to the options over the tax year.

Screenshot 2019-03-15 at 14.43.59

You then need to enter your company details, the name and the registered address used with HMRC. You can also enter your company number and tax reference number onto this page, these are optional but should be entered if you have them.

Screenshot 2019-03-15 at 14.43.59-1

You are then asked if you want to file for other companies, you should select no and continue.

Screenshot 2019-03-15 at 14.43.59-2

The final page will allow you to review the entered details before submitting.


Screenshot 2019-03-15 at 14.43.59-3


Our team, content and app can help you make informed decisions. However, any guidance and support should not be considered as 'legal, tax or financial advice.'