How to file your annual return through HMRC's ERS system

Whether or not there has been any activity on your EMI, growth share or unapproved options scheme, you must submit an annual notification to HMRC through their Employee Related Securities (ERS) system. 

When activity has taken place 

If an employee has left the company or exercised their options, there have been changes to the scheme that HMRC needs to be aware of. 

You will also need to follow this guide to tell HMRC about unapproved options or conditional growth shares if they have been awarded to UK employees or directors in the previous tax year.

Please follow this help guide for submitting your annual notification. 

When activity hasn't taken place 

If there hasn't been any activity or changes to the scheme, you still need to submit an annual notification – called a nil return

Please follow this help guide for step-by-step instructions on submitting a nil return. 


Our team, content and app can help you make informed decisions. However, any guidance and support should not be considered as 'legal or financial advice.'